Friday 2 May 2014

A Spot Of Baking - Tomato Tart

For a quick lunch I love making this tomato tart. So easy, tasty and fresh. I have to admit I've been lazy today (give me a break, it's Friday!) so I didn't make my own pastry - so I suppose this is cheats tomato tart! I've also made mini ones of these to serve as canapes at Christmas, which always go down well. 


Ingredients

2 eggs
3 tablespoons of creme fraiche
Desert spoon of dijon mustard
6 on the vine plum tomatoes (you can use any tomatoes but I like ones on the vine because they have more flavour - I've also used cherry tomatoes)
1 or 2 Spring onions
375g Puff Pastry
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
Cheese for grating (optional)


1. Take your puff pastry out of the fridge and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Line a baking tray with baking paper and roll out your pastry (you can get ready rolled pastry, which makes life very easy indeed). Fill the baking tray with the pastry and make sure the pastry is high enough on the sides. Using a fork pierce the pastry. 

2. Whisk the eggs and use a little to brush the sides of your tart. To the remaining egg mixture add the creme fraiche, mustard, thyme (in this one I used dried thyme but fresh is best), salt and pepper. Mix it and coat the base in some of the mixture.

3. Chop the tomatoes in slices (or half if you're using cherry tomatoes) and the spring onions finely. Cover the base evenly in the tomatoes (you can leave gaps between them) and then add the spring onions. Cover the tomatoes in the remaining mixture - there should be enough so it comes just about level with the tomatoes. You may want to grate some cheese on top to make it a bit cheesy!


4. Put in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden. 

5. Serve with a green salad and hey presto, lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment